Rudolphe Mdlongwa plays the character of Tamba in The Convert which is currently running at the Young Vic until 26 Jan.
We’ve posed him 11 Questions to find out more about him and his character
1. What are you usually doing 10 minutes before the show begins?
I listen to music, stretch or play about to get me into a playful mood.
2. What was it that first got you interested in theatre?
Singing in the Rain, The Godfather which led to other influences. The need to live other parts of my life.
3. Can you describe your character in The Convert in three words?
He’s a Lover, Fighter and Guerilla freedom fighter.
4. What can the audience expect from this production that’s different to anything they may have seen before?
Don’t expect anything, just come in with an open mind.
5. What language do you wish could speak? Or Do you speak any languages?
6. What’s your favourite midnight snack?
7. Who do you think must see this show before it ends its run?
Anyone who still call Zimbabwe Rhodesia, and The Queen.
8. What play or film have you seen recently that has had a lasting emotional effect on you and why?
9. What’s the most memorable moment from working at the Young Vic?
Standing on that stage.
10. Which country would you like to visit and why?
Zimbabwe – to learn more about my history and my people.
11. If you could be an animal for one day, which animal would you be?
A bird – flying would be amazing.
The Convert is now playing at the Young Vic until January 26. Tickets are now sold out but returns may be available on the day of each performance. Speak to our Box Office for more information on 020 7922 2922.