You may recognise her from Trans Scripts, The Danish Girl or Boy Meets Girl amongst other things … It’s Rebecca Root’s 11 Questions on eating gin (eating?) and more below.
1) Describe your stage presence in three emojis or words?
Spirited, unexpected, present.
2) What’s it been like working on a Young Vic Genesis show?
Hard work, exhilarating, enervating, joyful.
3) What is one thing you would like people to know about the gender-fierce*/gender queer community?
We’re just like you.
4) What are you usually doing 10 minutes before a show begins?
Doing final checks (props, make up etc); running through a scene in my head; reciting Shakespeare’s 29th Sonnet as a personal talisman.
5) What is your favourite part of the rehearsal process?
Coming off book for the first time. Like riding a bike without stabilisers.
6) What did you want to be growing up?
A female actor.
7) If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Gin. Wait, does that count? Sunday roast if not. Chicken, trimmings, the lot. And gin.
8) What was it that first got you interested in the theatre?
Doing the school nativity play when I was 4.
9) What’s your favourite play you’ve seen, read or worked on?
10) If you could be a superhero who would it be and why?
Wonder Woman. Because of the pants.
11) Would you rather have the hiccups for the rest of your life, or always feel like you have to sneeze but not be able to?
Sneeze. There’s so much drama in the anticipation.
Rebecca stars in The Bear / The Proposal which runs 15 – 25 Mar in the Young Vic’s Clare. Tickets for this production are all sold out but you are welcome to join our returns queues from an hour before each performance. Find more information on The Bear / The Proposal here.